PURPOSE OF POSITION
This position is responsible for new and existing conventional and Air Blown Fiber cable product development on a project assignment basis, and is responsible for providing process support to solve material and design related issues. This position is also responsible for identifying and developing cable materials for new applications, for improved processibility and reliability, for cost reduction and for maintenance of secondary vendors. This requires the development of product qualification test plans and incoming material test requirements.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF POSITION
- Conduct detailed design/performance studies for materials/cables.
- Conduct or coordinate trials/experiments to develop new material/designs/process through final qualification.
- Generate design for development and production cable products.
- Plan and conduct qualification tests of new cable designs.
- Provide process/production support related to use of materials.
- Troubleshoot internal and/or field related problems with cable performance.
- Maintain/obtain technical data from raw material vendors.
- Develop and issue raw material specifications.
- Coordinate/oversee new material or secondary vendor qualification
- Review and insure compliance with material specifications.
- Investigate/search for new cable materials.
Duties Performed Occasionally or Periodically
- Prepare and hold Design Reviews for new materials/cables.
- Provide timely reports on design/performance issues.
- Write technical reports and present papers at conferences.
- Submit and apply for patents.
- Exchange technical information with SEI.
- Perform process trials in conjunction with Process Engineering or outside vendors
- Prepare periodic R&D reports for Senior Management.
- Travel to third party testing laboratories or customer sites
REQUIREMENTS FOR POSITION
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering,
- Broad knowledge of an advanced technical or professional specialized discipline or other studies not available in undergraduate school. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Excellent Communication skills (with vendors and customers)
- Strong writing, mathematical and computer skills desired.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- BA/BS in Engineering or Physics desired but not required.
Five or more years